[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 06:15:39 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 12:02:17 BST mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> The classic example is king Leonidas "molon labe" to the persians.
>
> In ancient Greek it is sub-zero cool. I would pay real money, to see the
> look on the persian's face when he heard it.
>
> In english "come and get them", it sounds defiant, but not so much as the
> original.
>
> In klingon {naDev yIghoS 'ej tISuq} its mediocre.

I feel, there are stages in translating something. Often the early stages will
be overly wordy and still too close to a word-for word translation. And if you
submit a version too early Qov shouts at you.

Further iterations can pare down to something closer to the intent. Perhaps to
something like this with an optional {ghIq}.

{ghoghoS (ghIq) tItlhap!}

paqbatlh has a few examples of different ways to say "one by one" which could
also be used as a basis of translations of the other phrase.
Here's a couple that omit {ngIq}:
{Hegh wa' ghIq Hegh latlh.} glossed as "one-by-one they fell"
{wa' qa' nuD veqlargh, latlh qa' nuD veqlargh.} glossed as "the Fek'lhr
inspects them one by one"

Still, on a related note, I've been having problems recently trying to figure
out a reasonable way, with or without {ngIq}, to say "atom by atom [something
happens]" and "cell by cell [something else happens]".