[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 04:02:17 PDT 2017

And since we are on the subject..

It was a crucial point in my journey in this language, when I realized that:

Even if it is possible to translate something word-by word into klingon,
then this doesn't necessarily guarantee that the klingon will sound the
same way as the original.

So, the intent shouldn't be to convey the words of the original in klingon;
it should rather be to convey the context, and most importantly the feeling.

The classic example is king Leonidas "molon lave" to the persians.

In ancient Greek it is sub-zero cool. I would pay real money, to see the
look on the persian's face when he heard it.

In english "come and get them", it sounds defiant, but not so much as the
original.

In klingon {naDev yIghoS 'ej tISuq} its mediocre.

And in modern Greek it sounds so ridiculous, that each time someone said
it, Leonidas would be rolling in his grave.

It's not whether klingon has all the words to provide for word-by word
translations; it is humanly impossible for someone to recreate in a
constructed language, the entire vocabulary of a real language.

It is rather using the existing tools to convey the intented meaning and
most of all the intented feeling.

qunnoq