[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:53:42 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 4:31 PM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I read it only as "in (a/the) city and (the) cities", which is
> redundant.
>
> What's wrong with {ngIq veng}?

1. The canon examples of {ngIq} only give a rough idea of its precise
usage, so...

2. I only risk {ngIq} when I'm confident what I'm saying fits one of the
canon examples. I don't thank that's the case here. All the examples that
fit the "one after another" usage seem to imply "all of them, one at a
time", like checking items of a list. I think the phrase "city after city"
is less about a sequence and more about the idea that revolutions kept
breaking out *everywhere.*

3. {ngIq vengDaq qaSchoHtaH Daw'mey} could mean that revolutions kept
breaking out in a single city, like the Year of the Four Emperors. Or maybe
the plural {Daw'mey} implies multiple cities. I'm not sure, because point
number one.

But it looks like {vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je} isn't working, so I'll keep
working on it.

bI'reng