[tlhIngan Hol] ghelwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 5 06:54:04 PDT 2017

A {ghelwI'} could also be a device:  e.g. an automated instruction machine (we saw one asking the resurrected Spock questions in ST4) or that part of an automatic teller (cash point) that asks you for your PIN number (the one I use "speaks" both English and Spanish!).

I agree with Lieven, *{ghelwI' / jangwI'} as "question/answer" feels wrong.  Is an utterance a "thing which does X" in Klingon?  {mutlhegh}, {mu'},  {wot}, {DIp} and {chuvmey} are probably referred to as {'oH / bIH} - they're obviously not sentient - but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

ghel pagh ghelbe'.  DaH mu'tlheghvam vIqelnIS.   <g>

--Voragh