[tlhIngan Hol] law' and 'Iq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 1 07:43:32 PDT 2017

(IMO, HolQeD 8.3):  When tlhoy is used, it denotes that the action expressed by the verb is what is being overly done or done too much. … To express the idea of “too much gagh” or “too many tribbles,” the verb 'Iq be too many, be too much is used adjectivally. For example: yIHmey 'Iq vIlegh I see too many tribbles. qagh 'Iq vISop I eat too much gagh. Sometimes, the word law'qu' be very many (formed from law' be many plus –qu', the emphatic suffix) is translated 'be too many.' If the context is clear, this is acceptable, but if it important to stress the idea of “overly many, overly much, more than there ought to be,” tlhoy or 'Iq is usually employed.

--Voragh

From: mayqel qunenoS

We know we can say {'ul law'} for "a great amount of electricity"; but can we say too {'ul 'Iq} for "too much electricity" ?

Other than that, is there any other considerable difference between {law'} and {'Iq} ? That is a difference besides the level of "how much", expressed by each.

For example, is the {'Iq} only to be used in cases where we want to express something negative ? For example {jagh 'Iq}, or can it be used too in order to refer to something positive, for example {batlh 'Iq} ?

qunnoq