[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom grammar questions

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 23:42:45 PDT 2017

On 4 October 2017 at 18:23, Lawrence M. Schoen <klingonguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:46 AM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Lawrence M. Schoen <klingonguy at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> DujwIj wejDIch - Out of the collection of ships that are mine, the third
>>> one is the topic
>>>

> You make a compelling argument. And I confess I just popped into the
> middle of this thread so I'll yield to your assertion that "the third one
> is the topic"
>
> And yet, as has been pointed out, a number (in this case, an ordinal
> number) is a noun. So I have to disagree with your point that you "don't
> posses [sic] the "third" though, you posses [sic] the ship."
>
> Duj wejDIchwIj - there are many ships, but third one is mine.

But that's not even what "my third ship" means in English. It means "I have
multiple ships, and I'm singling out the third one for consideration". If
there are many ships, and the third one is mine (but the first one is hers
and the second one is yours), it's not my third ship we're talking about.

--
De'vID