[tlhIngan Hol] law' puS construction with law'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 11 08:50:02 PDT 2017

On 10/11/2017 11:29 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 11.10.2017 um 17:13 schrieb nIqolay Q:
>> What's interesting to me is that one of the first canon sentences for
>> {vItlh} (from the Smithsonian Air and Space tour app) was a law'-puS
>> construction: {DoDaj vItlh law' wab Do vItlh puS.} I wonder if it was
>> coined specifically to avoid using {law'} twice in a row.
>

> I think it's the difference in the definition: They are talking about
> speed, especially the amount of speed measured in numbers.
>
> The speed was higher, but they were stil ltalking about ONE speed.
> Using {law'} "be many" would mean that they are talking about several
> speeds, in plural.
>
> {DoDaj vItlh law' wab Do vItlh puS.}
> "The speed is higher than the speed of sound"
>
> {DoDaj law' law' wab Do law' puS.}
> "His speeds are more than the sound's speeds"

In SkyBox S32, we see *'ul law'* which gets translated /highly-charged./
I'd expect *'ul* and *Do* to be treated similarly in this regard.
Obviously, the answer is that Okrand just hadn't thought of *vItlh* yet,
but here we're not expected to think of this as /many (different)
electricities./ I don't think *Do law'* would automatically mean /many
(different) velocities/ just by that logical alone.

Now that we have *vItlh,* that's obviously the better choice for things
like this. But you can't completely rule out using *law'.*