[tlhIngan Hol] law' puS construction with law'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 11 08:21:32 PDT 2017

For those interested:

tera' jaj wa'maH loS, jar wa'maH, DIS wa' Hut loS Soch, puvDI' BELL X-wa',
   DoDaj vItlh law' wab Do vItlh puS.
[untranslated]   (NASM: “Bell X-1 Glamorous Glennis”)

--Voragh

From: nIqolay Q
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de<mailto:levinius at gmx.de>> wrote:

If you like to avoid the strange {law' law'}, you might want to consider the recently disscovered verb {vItlh}. It was used in a phrase in DSC:

{Heghmey DISIQpu'. 'a DIvI' Hegh vItlh law' Heghmaj vItlh puS.}
"We have suffered losses but the Federation has suffered far more."

What's interesting to me is that one of the first canon sentences for {vItlh} (from the Smithsonian Air and Space tour app) was a law'-puS construction: {DoDaj vItlh law' wab Do vItlh puS.} I wonder if it was coined specifically to avoid using {law'} twice in a row. (Even if that's true, I don't see why {law' law'} would itself be ungrammatical; maybe it just didn't fit Okrand's aesthetic sensibilities at the time.)