[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the adverb

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 06:46:54 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> TKD tells us that the adverbial comes at the beginning of a sentence. The
> question is, how is a sentence defined, or wouldn't it be better to define
> this as "the adverbial comes at the beginning of a [linguistic-term-here]
> clause"?

The appendix clarifies this to mean that the adverbial comes in front of
the object-verb-subject construction, and that the adverbial can be
preceded by other elements, such as time stamps.

mayqel's question can apply to many adverbials:

> ghorgh bIghungmo' bIHegh?
> bIghungmo' ghorgh bIHegh?
>
> bIpuvtaHvIS qatlh bIbom?
> qatlh bIpuvtaHvIS bIbom?

Question words aren't technically listed with adverbials, so they might not
fall under the same object-verb-subject rule. That said, I can think of at
least one example of a question word that goes with the main clause:
*potlhbe'chugh
yay qatlh pe''eghlu'?*