[tlhIngan Hol] One more day

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Oct 10 08:20:52 PDT 2017

On 10/10/2017 10:50 AM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:05 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>     I know what is going on in that sentence. A crescendo. I
>     understood it the first time I saw it.
>

> Is the expression *beyHom bey bey'a'* generalizable?

No idea. But that's a very different thing than saying nobody
understands what's going on with the phrase. About the /only/ think we
don't know is whether it can be generalized.

We do similar things in English, and I've never heard a formal
grammatical description of them (though one doubtless exists somewhere).
I am immediately reminded of this quotation from /Doctor Who:/

    That's right, yes, you're going. You've gone for ages, you've
    already gone, you're still here, just arrived, haven't even met you
    yet. It all depends on who you are and how you look at it. Strange
    business, time.

Or here's a headline I just came across:

    The Sights, The Sounds, The Sexiness Of The Alfa Romeo Giulia
    Qaudrifoglio

There are lots of things like this.

If someone were to write *Duj Do'a' Do DoHom vIjuv* for /I measure the
ship's deceleration,/ would I balk? No. I might even use it myself. Do I
know for sure that it's right? No, but it /feels/ right, it doesn't
violate any rules, and it is unmistakable.