[tlhIngan Hol] Saying I'm not there

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Oct 8 16:05:05 PDT 2017

On 10/7/2017 12:33 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> Out of those two options, I'm inclined more towards *naDev
> jIHqa'taHDI'*, since using pronoun verbs to mean "to be in a place"
> usually takes the *-taH* suffix. *jiHqa'DI'* might work better in the
> sense of something like *HoD jIHqa'DI'* /"when I'm captain again"./

I am of the opinion, informed by no canon whatsoever, that the rule is
that pronouns of being in a place require an aspect, but not necessarily
a type 7 suffix. The correct phrase in this case would be *naDev
jIHqa'DI'*/as soon as I resume being here;/ it makes use of the /resume/
aspect of *-qa'.* The point is to describe how your location changes
over time. Most things described this way are just there, so they use
*-taH,* but as ghunchu'wI' points out, we have *pa' jIHpu'be'*/I wasn't
there,/ which describes /having (not) been/ in a place, which is a
concept of completion.*pa' jIHchoHDI'*/when I got there (when I started
to be there)/ is also a possibility, and you can probably play with the
concepts of *-lI'* and *-ta'* as well.
**