[tlhIngan Hol] DSC Klingon Trailer transcription (NOT offlist)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Oct 5 04:02:55 PDT 2017

Am 05.10.2017 um 11:05 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> Before I start let me clarify that I mean no disrespect to anyone..

qay'be'.

> So, why may I ask do we need to take it so seriously into account ?

I can't speak for the others, but I treat this topic with no difference
from who wrote it. If a beginner had said this, I would argue the same
way I did here.

> If this sentence was written here by a grammarian, perhaps noone would

This WAS written by a grammarian.

> So, why bother ourselves with a sentence which's only significance,

Because I think that this is an interesting problem that needs to be
solved. And even if not solved, it is worth talking about.

> So, I, the fool who tries to learn the language, have to learn the
> mistake someone else made, and like it.
>
> In my humble opinion, this is not respectful to the people who try to
> learn the language, people who without them, klingon would be nothing.

Oh, no, on the contrary. The language is developping and growing. There
have been many cases where we would have said thsat it's wrong, and
later learned that is not so wrong after all.

This happens with "real" languages as well. Ask your grand parents. I'm
sure that they were learning things in school being called wrong, that
have changed to become correct with newer rules. I don't know for greek,
of course, but for instance, German and Dutch have gotten several
"reforms" of grammar and spelling over the years.

> If indeed "we succeed together in a greater whole", that "whole" has to
> be respected, and not having the mistakes of others being forced upon it.

What if the "whole" is doing one mistake all the time again and again?
If everybody does the same mistake, what about that? Yes, it will become
"accepted", and might be explained as a rule of common use (e.g. the use
of tu'lu' where lutu'lu' is expected).

> People who have taken time out of their lives in order to learn the
> language deserve better.

jIQoch. Everything changes. You can't learn something and expect this to
be an eternal fact. You're a medical. You might have learned to use a
medicine in the nineties, which may be discovered today to be harmful.
We have learned in school that there are nine planets, and suddenly
Pluto is not a planet anymore. In 1985, TKD said that adverbials come at
the beginning of a sentence. The addendum of 1992 corrected that they
precede the ovs.

We will be getting lots of corrections and additions, I'm sure.  And
that's why Klingon is called "the fastest growing language of the Galaxy."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"