[tlhIngan Hol] DSC Klingon Trailer transcription (NOT offlist)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Oct 4 11:38:14 PDT 2017

Am 04.10.2017 um 20:26 schrieb SuStel:
> It's too bad you're not going to reply, because I'd LOVE to know why you
> think Okrand went out of his way, twice in that article, to separate
> first- and second-person objects from third-person objects, but he
> REALLY meant that ANY objects can do this.

Because in the third person, this becomes ambiguous:
  {ghIch qanob} can only be "I give you the nose"
  {ghIch vInob} can be both be "it" and "him".

But that does not mean that it's not correct to do.

I am glad you chose that example, by the way. You say {Soj DInob} can
only mean "we give foods", but that's indeed nonsense, even in English.
Context makes clear it's "we give them food".

I'd like to point at the end of the message:

"I realize that this answer [...] is not by any means a complete
discussion of the several topics mentioned and I may have phrased things
not as clearly as they might be phrased. As a result, this answer may
end up just raising other questions."

But - again - we cannot solve this ourselves without imput from Maltz.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"