[tlhIngan Hol] qaghwI' vs. qaghwI’

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Oct 26 12:41:13 PDT 2017

On 10/26/2017 3:18 PM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 26.10.2017 um 20:55 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
>> In my opinion, the whole subject is ridiculous and that's an
>> understatement.
>
> I agree it's a kind of strange question, but still I meant this very
> seriously. Maybe Okrand did this intentionally, or the typesetter just
> chose this because he liked it.
>
> Okrand still uses ’ in his emails, so I wondered if there is a reason,
> and if there's a real difference.
>
> But after all, it really does not matter.

I find it extremely unlikely that Okrand chose the typeface or was
allowed to dictate the style guide of his books. At best, he may have
given directions that Klingon is to be set in bold type. In TKD, English
translations were set in italic type, while in KGT they were put in
quotation marks; he may have had a say in that. He probably got to see
proofs of the books before they were printed, at which point he could
have noticed any serious problems with whatever typeface they used. (And
yet, the list of useful phrases in TKD appear in a sans serif typeface
anyway.)

What email client does Okrand use (check message headers)? Does it
produce smart quotes automatically, or does he go out of his way to
insert them intentionally?