[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "I just thought"

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 12:39:22 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:45 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> This sounds like you only think this thought a few minutes ago and not at
> any other time. You won't think it again.
>
> The definition of *only* at dictionary.com lists four adverb senses for
> the word. The *neH* that follows Klingon nouns is the first sense:
> "without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively." The
> *neH* that follows Klingon verbs is the second sense: "no more than;
> merely; just." The sense you're using here is the third sense: "as recently
> as." *neH* probably doesn't mean this.

The second sense that goes with verbs, "no more than; merely; just" seems
like it might fit the intended meaning here. No more than a few minutes,
merely a few minutes, just a few minutes, etc. as opposed to many minutes.
So if we can put the *neH* on a verb, would we get closer to the intended
meaning? *puSbogh neH lup ret* "merely a few minutes ago, no more than a
few minutes ago"?

(In most cases there's not really a reason to not just use *qen* or *lup
puS ret*, but maybe you want to do some kind of rhetorical flourish.)