[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puqloD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 23 08:20:48 PDT 2017

Klingon word: puqloD

Part of speech: noun

Definition: son

Source: TKD

wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj

The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade. TKW

qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH vav quvHa'ghach

The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for three generations. TKW

puqloDwI' le'qu', Hoch jaj choquvmoH

My dearest son, each day you redeem me. (Frasier)

Qoy qeylIS puqloD. Qoy puqbe'pu'

Hear! Sons of Kahless. Hear! Daughters too. (Anthem)

Qo'noS tlhInganpu': qeylIS puqloDpu' puqbe'pu' je.

Klingons of Kronos: sons and daughters of Kahless. ('u'-MTK)

yatlh luqara' puqloD wa'DIch qenglI'

Lukara, pregnant of their first-born son  (PB)

SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj

I see now, I have failed to raise my son a man  (PB)

LANGUAGE NOTES:

(KGT 198f.)  ... a parent may address a son as puqloDoy and a daughter as puqbe'oy. As with the terms for parents, the -oy form is seldom used past the child's Age of Ascension.

(KGT 197):  It is always proper to call somebody by his or her name alone... During formal occasions, it is also not uncommon to refer to someone by his or her father's name, such as mogh puqloD (son of Mogh) or a combination of given name plus father's name, such as HuS 'atrom puqbe' (Huss, daughter of A'trom).

(st.k 9/1997):  If you want to be even more formal, the name of the father may be used as well... "Kahlor, son of Kahlin, of the House of Molor" is "Kahlor, son of Kahlin, House of Molor" qeylor qeylIn puqloD molor tuq."

 (KGT 182):  For example, in the ceremony to induct new members into the Order of the Bat'leth (betleH 'obe'), the highest honor that the government bestows on a Klingon, the presiding official, usually the leader of the Klingon High Council, first reads a name from the naD tetlh (Commendation List), always calling out the inductee's name in the most formal way (given name plus father's name, such as tI'vIS barot puqloD [T'vis, son of Barot]).

CULTURAL NOTES:

The Klingon law of heredity (*g'now juk Hol pajhard* "A son shall share in the honors or crimes of his father") would have required the execution of Worf and his brother Kurn for the treachery of their father, Mogh, had not those charges proven false. (cf. TNG "Redemption I")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons