[tlhIngan Hol] ngogh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 16 13:39:11 PDT 2017

Maltz/Okrand defined ngogh as “a block or lump or brick” and I assumed the general shape was a rectangular solid – which is what they often are in North America -- but we don’t really know what blocks and bricks look like on Kronos.  Considering their fascination for triangles and sets of three, Klingons may well think of something pyramidical.  Even the example of ngogh tun doesn’t help as we’ve seen plenty of exotic triangular pillows on Trek!

That being said, I still think tlhoQ a better choice.

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org] On Behalf Of mayqel qunenoS

On Oct 16, 2017 17:09, "Voragh" wrote:
mayqel qunenoS:
>> I just noticed that {ngogh} is given as "block, lump, brick".
>> So, because of its "lump" meaning, perhaps it's a good choice in order
>> to express "tumor".
Not unless the tumor resembles a rectangular solid, which seems to be the general shape:
 (Lieven < MO,  9th qepHom'a', 12/2010):  A ngogh is a block or lump or brick. He said he's seen humans eating yuch ngoghmey and found that strange.
(KGT 93):  A particularly popular dish, tlhombuS, requires that the cook coat a block of tlhagh [animal fat] with a mixture of ngat (herbed granulated cartilage) and tIr (grain) and then briefly immerse the block into the already boiling fat, just until the coating hardens.
nIm wIb ngogh                                 cheese (n)
ngogh mutlhwI'                                bricklayer (n)
ngogh tun                                          pillow (n)
tIr ngogh                                            bread [i.e. a loaf?] (n)
--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons