[tlhIngan Hol] law' puS construction with law'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 03:31:27 PDT 2017

On 11 October 2017 at 18:10, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 10/11/2017 11:56 AM, Lieven wrote:
>
> Am 11.10.2017 um 17:50 schrieb SuStel:
>
> but here we're not expected to think of this as /many (different)
> electricities./ I don't think *Do law'* would automatically mean /many
> (different) velocities/ just by that logical alone.
>

> I don't have canon examples at hand, but I'm sure that {law'} is not only
> "many" but also "much" (bIQ law' - "a lot of water", not "many waters"). So
> with noncountable things like {'ul law'} I don't read it as "many
> electricities", but "much electricity".
>

> I looked a bit for *law'* on uncountable nouns, but *'ul* was the only
> one I found.
>
> I don't see how you distinguish between *'ul* being uncountable and *Do*
> being countable.

I also think the definition lends {vItlh} to being used with a measurement
itself, where {law'} is more general. And I do see a difference between
{'ul} and {Do}. The former can't be assigned a single number and can be
measured in different ways. For example, {law' 'ul}, but {vItlh voltage} or
{vItlh current}. Similarly, {law' movement} but {vItlh Do}.

If I said {law' Dujmey}, I'm talking about many ships. If I said {vItlh
Dujmey}, what aspect of the ship am I talking about? I'd need to say {vItlh
Dujmey mI'} or {vItlh Dujmey cheb} or something like that.

--
De'vID