[tlhIngan Hol] One more day

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 9 12:29:03 PDT 2017

AFAIK latlh has never been used with a number although it can refer to a plural noun, with or without an expressed plural suffix.  E.g. :

   latlh?
   And the others? [i.e. "The rest?"]  (ST5)

   latlh SuvwI'pu' Dara'bogh DaSuq.  (MKE)

   Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.  (S31)

   beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'.  (S31)

   latlh SuvwI'pu' Dara'bogh DaSuq. (MKE)

   Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.  (S31)

   DaSwIj bIngDaq latlhpu' vItap.  (STConst p.232)

   latlhpu' law' pIlmoHpu' lutvam  (PB)

Why is the number one important?  Since the default meaning of latlh is additional one, other one, another one, it seems to me that one can be safely be omitted.  A better questions would be:  How do you say two/three/four (etc.) more days?

--Voragh

From: mayqel qunenoS

I was thinking of the phrase:

  {one more day SIQlaHchugh vaj Quch}
  if he was able to endure one more day, he would be happy

Do you want to talk about one “other day”, or about another “one day”? Give us a complete thought to consider, not just an isolated phrase.  Without more context, I don’t know why you wouldn’t just say {latlh jaj}.