[tlhIngan Hol] DSC Klingon Trailer transcription (NOT offlist)

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 23:07:48 PDT 2017

On 5 October 2017 at 08:02, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 September 2017 at 08:50, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The makers of that video cut off the wrong part of the first sentence.
>> They apparently intended to cut out the reference to Donatu V, but what
>> they did was they cut out the *temporally* corresponding part (at the end)
>> of the sentence rather than the *semantically* corresponding part (at the
>> beginning). If they had just listened to their cut they'd have realised
>> that the sentence starts with {Do'natu vagh...} So frustrating, though I
>> doubt it can be fixed now that it's been released.
>>

> Many people apparently just assume that whatever subtitle is on-screen at
> the time something's spoken must be the translation of what's spoken. Maybe
> this mostly works between a pair of SVO languages, but obviously doesn't
> work between English and Klingon.
>
> Someone had put {DagheS} as the Klingon translation of "Torchbearer" into
> Memory Alpha, because the subtitle for the spoken line {Sech qengwI'
> DagheS} was broken apart and the {DagheS} part appears on screen when the
> word "Torchbearer" was said. I've fixed it.
> http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Torchbearer?diff=2071713&oldid=2065902

That explanation is a bit confusing. Let me clarify.

What I meant was, if you pause the show when T'Kuvma says "Torchbearer" in
the English subtitle (he's speaking Klingon), the Klingon subtitle says
{DagheS}, and somebody assumed that that must mean {DagheS} is the Klingon
word for "Torchbearer".

*sigh*

--
De'vID