[tlhIngan Hol] Saying I'm not there

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 21:50:18 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 11:41 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 10/8/2017 11:36 PM, SuStel wrote:
>
> On 10/8/2017 11:29 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
>
> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 7:05 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> I am of the opinion, informed by no canon whatsoever, that the rule is
>> that pronouns of being in a place require an aspect, but not necessarily a
>> type 7 suffix.
>>

> Unfortunately, that opinion is contradicted by canon. Again, from the UKE
> appendix:
>
> "Where is a good restaurant?" {nuqDaq 'oH Qe' QaQ'e'}
>
> "Where is the bathroom?" {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'}
>
> Any examples where we're not asking questions?
>
> Here's a sort-of example: *ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'.* But it's not
> of the same form as the others, so it's not a good data point.

One thing that is in common between those examples is that the thing in
question doesn't move, it's a fixed location. People move around, so you
might want to emphasize if someone is in a location for a while (i.e.,
using the* -taH*), whereas the restaurant or bathroom probably isn't going
anywhere. Are there more examples where the thing that is in a place is a
fixed feature rather than a person or ship or the like?