[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the adverb

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 11 06:41:54 PDT 2017

On 10/11/2017 9:26 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> So, if I understand correctly, the grammatically correct sentence is
> {paq vIlaDtaHvIS, pIj jIHagh}. Right ?
>
> Because I was wondering which of these two sentences was right, and
> which was wrong. Although as I understand, placing the {pIj} right
> before the {paq vIlaDtaHvIS}, isn't actually wrong, but rather
> something which would occur more often while speaking as opposed to
> writing.
>
> If I understand correctly your reply, in order to be grammatically
> correct, the adverb has to be placed right before the verb to which it
> refers (in our examples the {jIHagh}).
>
> Are these conclusions correct ?

Formally, a dependent clause should not split an adverbial from its
sentence, so far as we can tell.

If you did it anyway I don't think anyone would care.

And adverbials are said to come at the front of a sentence, not in front
of a verb's object, so who knows? Maybe *paq vIlaDtaHvIS jIHagh* is the
sentence, and you can put an adverbial in front of THAT.

Focus on that, rather than on what's "right" and "wrong." It's not down
to right and wrong.