[tlhIngan Hol] Saying I'm not there

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 09:33:45 PDT 2017

Out of those two options, I'm inclined more towards *naDev jIHqa'taHDI'*,
since using pronoun verbs to mean "to be in a place" usually takes the
*-taH* suffix. *jiHqa'DI'* might work better in the sense of something
like *HoD
jIHqa'DI'* *"when I'm captain again".*

You could also try something like *naDev vIcheghpu'DI'* *"when I have
returned here"*. I don't think *jIHqa'taH* is wrong, it's a perfectly
understandable and well-formed verb, but *chegh* is a little more
straightforward and has been used in canon sentences before. Using an
unfamiliar construction like *jIHqa'taH* could draw attention or emphasis
to your phrasing there, which might not be what you want.

It's possible there might be some other difference in connotation between
using *jIHqa'taH* vs. *chegh* that would make using the first construction
preferable. My guess is that the first emphasizes your presence after your
return, while the second emphasizes the return itself. I'm not sure the
difference is so significant that you couldn't just use *chegh* anyway,
unless you were trying to evoke some specific mood rather than just
conveying the notion of "being back here".