[tlhIngan Hol] DSC Klingon Trailer transcription (NOT offlist)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Oct 5 07:20:11 PDT 2017

On 10/5/2017 10:09 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> I think we’re missing a practical reason here:  The editor seems to be
> avoiding putting too much English text on the screen to make it easier
> for the viewer to read the subtitle at a glance. If you put all of a
> very long sentence on the screen, you’ll have to use a smaller font to
> squeeze it all in and still be able to see the action (not to mention
> appreciate the make-up and special effects).  IOW nice bite-sized
> chunks of text for the non-Klingonist audience which unfortunately for
> us don’t correspond well between a SVO and OVS languages as De’vID
> pointed out.

That's what I mentioned other movies for. They're content to use smaller
fonts, to break lines according to concepts as they occur in the native
language. Heck, even the /Star Trek/ movies did just fine in that
regard. "Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight. A probe of ancient
origin." One subtitle. No problems whatsoever, and no one ever
complained, as they do with /Discovery,/ that the subtitles go by too
fast or that the Klingon is too slow.