[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom grammar questions

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 09:33:38 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> I don't think you can use it for any application of *-vaD,* only for when
> *-vaD* indicates an indirect object. In your *qaHoHqang* example, for
> instance, *SoH* is not an indirect object: *SoH* benefits from the
> action, but the action does not result in something actually given to
> *SoH.*

Out of the three verbs I can think of that have been used with the prefix
trick -- *nob*, *'ang*, and *jatlh* -- only the first involves actually
giving someone something. In the case of *tIqwIj Sa'angnIS* or *tlhIngan
Hol qajatlh*, *tlhIH* or *SoH* are benefiting from the action but aren't
really getting anything out of it physically.

(Also, is the assumed distinction between meanings of *-vaD* a carryover
from the ways that suffix is translated into English? Do Klingon
grammarians make a distinction between the *jIHvaD* in *jiHvaD taj Danobpu'*
and in *jIHvaD qab tera'ngan Soj 'Iq*?)

> I think the prefix trick works because Klingon prefixes must agree with
> the "object" of the verb, not necessarily only the "direct object." In
> certain cases where it is clear that a direct object is not being agreed
> with, the prefix can agree with an otherwise unstated indirect object. It's
> not that prefixes can agree with any object they like, direct or indirect;
> it's just that under certain circumstances the prefix can be reassigned to
> do different work than it usually does.

That's why my examples have explicitly third-person direct objects (or, in
the case of *muqab**, a stative verb that can't have a direct object at
all), so that it is clear that a direct object is not being agreed with.