[tlhIngan Hol] DSC Klingon Trailer transcription (NOT offlist)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 4 11:05:52 PDT 2017

On 10/4/2017 2:01 PM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 04.10.2017 um 19:47 schrieb SuStel:
>>     When the indirect object... is first or second person, the
>>     pronominal prefix which normally indicates first or second person
>>     object may be used. —Okrand, Re: Some quick questions...
>>
>> *-DI'* indicates a third-person object.
>
> That is true, but the above explanation does not exclude other
> objects. It does not say "ONLY when...".
>
> The entire 1997 thread started with "what does {qajatlh} mean", so
> Okrand responded to that question, explaining the first and second
> person object. Nobody asked for third, so there was no reason to
> answer that.
>
> The prefix trick follows the same pattern:
>   SoHvaD Soj vInob  -> Soj qanob.
>   SoHvaD Soj wInob  -> Soj pInob.
>   chaHvaD Soj wInob -> Soj DInob.

This isn't a course in logic. The clear implication of Okrand's calling
out first- and second-person objects and not saying anything about
third-person objects is that the prefix trick only works with first- and
second-person objects. Nobody asked about first-person objects either,
but he put those in there.

"When the indirect object is first or second person, oh and third person
too, but I feel like not saying that one for some reason, ..." That's
nonsense.

*Soj DInob* is not a valid application of the prefix trick. It means /we
give foods./