[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIn

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 13 06:05:30 PST 2017

Klingon word: jIn
Part of speech: verb
Definition: wish
Source: qepHom 2015 p.12
Okrand (MO) talking with Lieven (LL) at qepHom 2015 (p.12):

MO:  {chabal} is something desired or requested. There also is a verb
           "to wish", as in "I wish I could"... {jIn}.
	    tlhIngan jIH 'e' vIjIn
	    I wish I were a Klingon.
LL:     In German, the verb wish can have an indirect object, which
           sounds awkward in English [...]
MO:  No, that's something you want: Like in English, you either say "I
           wish I had a beer" or "just I want a beer". The verb {jIn} cannot
           have a thing as an object.
LL:     What about the song "We wish you a merry Christmas..."?
MO:  That's a different wish; that's not this one. It's more the {-jaj}
           solution. {jIn} usually has a phrase as an object, not a thing.

SEE ALSO:
neH 		want (v)

--
Voragh