[tlhIngan Hol] time words and deixis

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:21:59 PST 2017

SuStel:
> You're using "fourth year," but to me "fourth year" is counting
> years as they occur, not counting them backwards.

I see your point. Unfortunately, I can't think of an alternate way of
saying it.

Unless we wrote:

{tagh noH, 'ej ghIq -qaSDI' loS DIS- bogh}
the war begun, and then -as soon as four years had happened- he was born

What is your opinion on this approach ?

~ nI'ghma

On Nov 29, 2017 22:13, "SuStel" <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

On 11/29/2017 3:08 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

> SuStel
> > What is the fourth year which preceded his
> > life?
>
> hmm.. I see what you mean. What would you think of the following then ?
>
> {qaStaHvIS yInDaj bI'reS nungbogh DIS loSDIch'e', tagh noH}
>
> while the fourth year which preceded the beginning of his life was
> happening, the war started

You're using "fourth year," but to me "fourth year" is counting years as
they occur, not counting them backwards.

Anyway, the very fact that you have to resort to locutions like this shows
has ill-equipped the language is at this sort of thing.