[tlhIngan Hol] bubbles

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 20 05:45:24 PST 2017


for playing the language bubble game, Maltz was asked for such a word.

For the archive: this is printed in qepHom 2017, page 20.

The verb is {ngon}. The noun is {ba'Suq}.

Also... The verb {jo'} means "blow into a container of some kind" in the 
sense of "inflate, fill with air, blow up" ("blow up" like to blow up a 
balloon, not "explode").

It's used for blowing up a balloon, blowing into a paper bag (so you can 
then hit the bag against something so that it explodes with a loud 
noise), whatever it is that glass blowers do, and, yes, blow bubbles.

It's not the same as {SuS}, which can also be used for blowing out a 
candle. With {SuS} you're blowing into/onto/at something, but the air 
gets out of the thing (or never goes in it). With {jo'}, the air is 
trapped in the thing and can't come out until you let it out (or the 
thing breaks).

The object of both verbs is the thing you blow into/onto/at. If you use 
a {-Daq} construction, it implies that you missed – you blew towards the 
object, but the air bypassed it.
Additional information, not printed:

The verb {ngon} describes what water does when it's boiling: It's 
bubbling. Also, if you blow with a straw into a glass of water, then 
it's also bubble-ing, i.e. making bubbles. The person does not {ngon}, 
they {ngonmoH} the water.

The noun {ba'Suq} is used also for a chewing gum bubble, a soap bubble 
and so on. You can even have bubbles in the bath tub, and the foam in 
the bathtub is made of millions of bubbles, but the foam itself is not 
called bubble. Of course, you can add suffixes to it for very small 
bubbles, like the ones you have in sparkling water and champagne, for 

This information from #qepHom2017 will be added to the page "Message 
from Maltz" on qepHom.de:

Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list