[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIw

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 30 07:47:54 PST 2017

Klingon word: tIw
Part of speech: verb
Definition: react emotionally, behave emotionally
Source: qepHom 2017

So far only used in ST Discovery:

  jItIwmo' jIvangbe'
  [translation not available]  (DSC "The Vulcan Hello")

  matIwtaHvIS pa'logh nIyma' wIleghchugh
  When emotions brings us ghosts from the past (DSC "The Vulcan Hello" subtitles)

SEE ALSO:
DuQ 		touch (emotionally) (v)

(KGT 71):  Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the verb {DuQ} (literally, "stab"):  {muDuQ bom} ("The song stabs me", or, in a more colloquial Federation Standard form, "The song moves me").

nong 		be passionate (v)

(KGT 132):  One simile of this type associates a people with a quality opposite from one they actually typify: {nong; vulqangan rur} ("passionate as a Vulcan"). This would be used to describe somebody who was not passionate. As far as can be determined, this is the only use of irony in expressions of this type, and what led to this unique occurrence is not known."

TREK TRIVIA:
"I must confess that I too am moved emotionally. I know it is illogical." (Spock to Romulan Commander, TOS "The Enterprise Incident")

According to Ambassador Soval, Vulcans consider the Klingons to be wildly emotional. (ENT "The Forge")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons