[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhat

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 17 12:39:21 PDT 2017

> > Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 17, 2017
> >
> > Klingon word: tlhat
> > Part of speech: noun
> > Definition: grid

Voragh:
> (Lieven, 11/07/2016:  The word for "grid" on a spreadsheet ({tlhat}) can
> also be used for the lines (grid) on a map.
>
> SEE ALSO:
> pu'jIn          map, blueprint, plan (n)
>
> wa'chaw         spreadsheet, table (n)
> wev             row (in table or spreadsheet) (n)
> war             column (in table or spreadsheet) (n)

ter'eS:
>> Is the grid of a spreadsheet the lines that define each cell,
>> or is it the cell itself?  Is it the gridlines on a map, or
>> the plats bounded by the gridlines?

Lieven:
>>> I have always thought that "grid" (in English) refers to the
>>> lines, not the space between. And since Maltz confirmed that
>>> the word can also be used for the lines on a map, I think it's
>>> clear that it refers the lines in a spreadsheet as well.

I agree.  Okrand is a linguist, not a cartographer, so the more common meaning is no doubt what he means.

To refer to the spaces between the lines, depending on what kind of grid one is using, we have a variety of shapes to choose from: {mey'} "polygon", {ra’Duch} "triangle", {letbaQ} "rectangle", {meyrI'} "square".  And {buq’Ir} "cube" and {qu’vu’} "pyramid" are available for holographic 3D grids.  We also have a mundane example of how to use shapes in a sentence:

  meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'
  The circle is in the square. [qep'a' 2005]

We've seen Klingon grids.  Here's an image of SkyBox card SP3 - {tlhIngan wIy} "Klingon Tactical Display" - showing a triangular grid seen in several episodes:

https://img.comc.com/i/Non-Sports/1994/SkyBox-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Season-1---Klingon-Cards/SP3/Klingon-Tactical-Display.jpg?id=fbb52303-2869-41d2-85cb-11209c133b9e&size=zoom

The relevant sentence of which is:

  motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
  The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with
  a complex target acquisition grid. (SP3)

At the time Okrand avoided "grid" by simply calling it {De' Qatlh} "complex data" but now we have the more specific {tlhat}.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'