[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rItlh naQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 10 08:30:57 PDT 2017

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 10, 2017
> Klingon word: rItlh naQ
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: pigment stick

(KGT 80-81):  What the Federation would classify as a painting - that is, a {nagh beQ} featuring an image not carved into it but painted onto it - is made by applying {rItlh} (pigment, paint, dye) derived from either an animal or plant source. This may be done either by using fingers ({nItlhDu'}) or an implement called a {rItlh naQ} (pigment stick), a stick with flattened ends. The ends (sometimes referred to as the {nItlhpachDu'} [literally, "fingernails"]) are made in assorted sizes, making it possible to produce varied patterns. No doubt because of the phonetic similarity of the words {nItlh} (finger) and {rItlh} (pigment), the practice of applying pigment with fingers, and the habit of referring to the ends of pigment sticks as {nItlhpachDu'}, a pigment stick is also often called a "nItlh naQ" (literally, "finger stick"), though this term is used almost exclusively by the artisans themselves. The word {DIj} means "use a {rItlh naQ}, paint with a {rItlh naQ}. [...] Compared to Federation Standard, Klingon terminology associated with colors is rather limited. First of all, there is no noun meaning color. There is, however, a verb, {nguv}, which means something like "be dyed, stained, tinted", though it is seldom used [...] The verb {ngoH}, meaning smear in other contexts, is used for paint using fingers.

Lieven Litaer interviewed Marc Okrand (posted 10/29/2015):

MO:   A stamp (rubber stamp, a tool/device, not postage
    stamp) is a {toqwIn}. To use a stamp, you ink it up
    and then you {Dut} it (slam [it] down). The word for
    ink is {rItlh}, and the ink pad is called {rItlh
    'echlet}. The image that results from using a rubber
    stamp is {yang}. 
LL:   When you ink it up, do you simply {Dut} it into the
    {rItlh 'echlet}?
MO:   Yes, but there is a way to say that you're applying
    ink. To "ink up" a rubber stamp is to {laS} it. This
    verb is also used to refer to putting paint on a {rItlh
    naQ}. Maltz said that there's a slang term for this
    action also: {pID}. 

rItlh  		pigment, paint, dye, ink (n)
wuS rItlh naQ 	lipstick (n) 
rItlh 'echlet  	ink pad (n) 
ghItlhwI' 		stylus (n)

ngoH 			smear, paint using fingers (v)
DIj 			use/paint with a pigment stick (v)
laS			ink up, put paint on [something] L(v)
nguv 			be dyed/stained/tinted (v)
chum 			be colorful (v)

Ritz is the biggest company producing dyes for home use in the U.S.

tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list