[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SoD

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu May 18 09:04:17 PDT 2017

On 5/18/2017 11:42 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Voragh:
> De'vID:
>>> That depends on your definition of "canon". It was used in the lyrics
>>> of a drinking song in the DS9 episode "The Way of the Warrior".
> Also in VOY "Prophecy" and VOY "Barge of the Dead" apparently.  Full text and discussion at:
>
> http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_drinking_song
>
>> Actually, that was the homophonous verb. Never mind.
> I found the relevant line:
>
>    'ej Doq SoDtaH ghoSpa' SIqral bIQtIq
>    And the River Skral ran crimson red.

Before any beginners get confused trying to translate it, be warned it's
not grammatical. The origin of the line is given here
<http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/River_Skral>, and ghunchu'wI''s
valiant attempt to work out what the writer had in mind is given here
<http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/DrinkingSong>. Literally, the line above
reads something like /and it is red, it is flooding, before the Skral
River goes./

A literal translation of /and the River Skral ran crimson read/ might be
*'ej Doqqu'choH SIqral bIQtIq, *which simply means /and the River Skral
becomes red./ If we remember that Klingon blood is supposed to be pink
(something the writers often forget), we might say *'ej DoqchoH SIqral
bIQtIq 'ej wovchoH*/and the River Skral becomes pink./

The point of the line is to tell how the river is filled with blood.
Literally, that might be *'ej SIqral bIQtIq teb 'Iw*/and blood fills the
River Skral./ Or we might be interested in how the river turns the color
of blood, even though most of what we're looking at is still water: *'ej
Doqqu'choH SIqral bIQtIq; 'Iw rur*/and the River Skral becomes red as
blood./

Oh well, at least we got actual Klingon words, even if they were put
together ungrammatically and pronounced horribly.