[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghogh'ot

kechpaja kechpaja at comcast.net
Fri May 12 09:24:01 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 03:39:46PM +0000, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Voragh:
> >> [MO > Lieven (10/29/2015)]:  Here are some more words related
> >> to paper: a letter, that is a message written on a sheet of
> >> paper and sent to someone is a {nav Qin}. An envelope is called
> >> {nav vaH}. In context, {vaH} by itself is enough. The word
> >> {vaH} can actually be used for everything you put something
> >> inside of it. It's a cover for it. A bill, a payment request,
> >> something you must pay, is a {ghogh'ot}.
>
> SapIr:
> > Okay, I really want this to be a pun on "invoice", given that it starts
> > with {ghogh}, but I'm not sure that works. The only meaning I can find for
> > {'ot} is "the sound of the letter <o>" (which could be a pun on "owe", but
> > then why {ghogh}?).
>
> If you read it backwards - to'ghogh - you get "to voice", which is a little closer to "invoice".  Maybe because a bill or payment request is sent to someone??  (It's a stretch, I know.)

Hmm. As Anthony pointed out in another message (and I had already
realized, but not commented on), it could also be interpreted as {to'}
"tactics" plus {ghogh}.

Perhaps we're going to eventually get a word {'ot} meaning "interior".

> It's interesting that Okrand associated it with paper and envelopes.  I wonder if he had a pile of envelopes with bills to pay on his desk that day? <g>

Aren't bills just one of the staple types of physical mail? I interpret
that quote as implying that he was just listing off different things you
might get in the mail, rather than things that were related to envelopes
per say.

I imagine junk mail would probably be {veQ QIn}.

 - SapIr