[tlhIngan Hol] elephant

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Mar 26 09:33:06 PDT 2017

On 3/26/2017 4:25 AM, Jeremy Silver wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Mar 2017 14:55:08 Lieven wrote:
>> For the translation of the intro of a famous German children TV show I
>> have asked Marc Okrand how I'd best name their main characters which are
>> a mouse and an elephant. Okrand talked to Maltz and replied with the
>> following. It's not really a new word, but at least some canon spelling
>> of a terran animal.
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>>
>> Lieven —
>>
>> I think {Qa'Hom} is okay for "mouse."
>>
>> And Maltz wasn't aware of any native Klingon elephant-like animal.  So
>> go with a Klingon version of Federation Standard.  How about {'e'levan}?
>>
>>    - Marc
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
> Now the video of this intro seems to be available:
> http://www1.wdr.de/kinder/tv/die-sendung-mit-der-maus/video-vorspann-maus-klingonisch-100.html
>
> Is there a transcript available for those with hearing as bad as mine?
> Who narrated it?

Don't blame yourself; the pronunciation is a valiant attempt, but very
difficult to make out. Here is what I heard (and I have no idea what the
original German is, nor would I understand it if I did). Each line is
ended with a pause.

    QaghmeH wojmeH je lutmey
    DaHjaj nom jul He wItlha'qu'
    Alexander tera' velqa' chImpu'
    pumlaw'bogh tera' pegh
    tlhom chum Hutlhbogh jajmey'e'
    'ej net Sov nutlhej /mawS 'elevan/ je

The speaker somewhat skips over *qaghwI'* and seems to have trouble with
*Qay* and *tlhay.* His cadence is also difficult to follow, though he
clearly understands what he's saying. The translator chose not to use
*Qa'Hom* for /mouse./