[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 21 11:41:47 PDT 2017

On 3/21/2017 1:56 PM, Jeremy Silver wrote:

> I too have been having trouble finding a good way to express sand and
> ash and bribe for example. I think describing ground-up rock confuses
> people if trying to talk about sand.

Hmm. *nagh pullu'pu'bogh* is actually a pretty decent substitute for
/sand./

> While on the subject of sand my wish-list extends to:
>
> beach (n)
>
> coast/shore (n)

We already have /beach:/ *bIQ'a' HeH.* This will often work for /coast/
or /shore/ as well; the phrase *bIQ'a' HeH* doesn't show us the
difference between those and /beach. /If I wanted to contrast an actual
beach and some non-beach shoreline, I might struggle with describing a
sandy beach shore and a non-sandy beach shore.

> bay/inlet (n)
>
> harbour (n)
>
> port [as in spaceport, seaport] (n) - some variation of {vergh}
> combined with {veng} maybe?

Yes, *vergh veng* is a good substitute for a dedicated word for /port,/
and is very much the sort of word Klingons might have for it. If you
wanted to refer to the actual port in a port city, as opposed to calling
a port city a /port,/ you might call them the *verghmey* (cf.
*mebpa'mey*/hotel/).

> float [on water/in space, assuming it'll differ from {'al}] (v)
>
> be-adrift [on water/in space] (v)
>
> sail (n)
>
> oar (n)
>
> Don't know if Marc's painted himself into a corner with turning "row
> your boat" into "propel your ship", but a {vo'wI'} can mean a few things.

Did he translate that? I don't remember this. What is the source?

I wouldn't consider that being painted into a corner. As a song, it may
not have been a precise translation. Maybe the Klingon word for /row/
doesn't fit nicely in the meter.

> That said, sometimes aiming for a phrase like {vo'meH patmey} if you
> want what you are describing to remain neutral to time and technology;
> like you don't want it to matter if the ship has sails, or if it's a
> fully kitted out Brel.

I could imagine an oar being called a *vo'meH jan raQlu'bogh*/propulsion
device which one manipulates by hand./

> Recently I too needed something for Skull, {nach Hom} seemed to work
> OK but had too many syllables at the time.
>
> We have a word for crossing/traversing something, but I've wanted to
> express things crossing like in an x or + shape before now. Do we have
> such a construction?

Don't think so, though something about that is nagging me. I'm also
thinking you might do something with *Don* and maybe *vel**,* but it's
clumsy.

>  I'd also vote for a noun for snow as in the past using something like
> {chuch qutmey} seemed a bit complicated.
>
> Consider there to be another vote for *tide (n)* here too, had to make
> do with something like big wave recently. Though now I think about it
> some way of combining {maS} and {yu'egh} might work. Can you do
> something like {maSmo' yu'egh}?

That would violate the rule in TKD 3.4: "When the noun-noun construction
is used, only the second noun can take syntactic suffixes (Type 5)." You
might go with something like *yu'egh chenmoHbogh maS*/wave which the
moon forms,/ or just *maS yu'egh* /moon wave./ I don't like it. Tides
aren't reeeaaallly a wave; I might look at something having to do with
*bIQ'a' 'Iv*/ocean's altitude/ or something like that.

>  Do we have a usual way of expressing the concept of "beyond" like:
>
> On the other side of the mountain, there is a prison kind of thing?
>
> or Past the crossroads someone did something?

*HuD latlh Dop retlhDaq bIghHa' tu'lu'*/in the area next to the
mountain's other side there is a prison./ But that doesn't cover phrases
like /far over the Misty Mountains cold,/ where the thing you're talking
about isn't immediately next to the other side of the mountain. You
might play with something like *pa' Hop* /faraway thereabouts. /This
starts to run into "sometimes inaccurate but never approximate" territory.