[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 21 08:08:36 PDT 2017

On 3/21/2017 10:52 AM, Rhona Fenwick wrote:

> jIghItlhpu', jIjatlh:
>
> > peDpu'mo' DujwIj So'lu'
> > "because it snowed, my car is covered"
>
> mujang SuStel, jatlh:
> > DujlIj So' nuq?
>
> If you want to play it that way, peD je nuq'e'? And who knows? bIQ
> qutHommey? chuch ghIH? DujtlhuQmey taD? I'm not saying there's no word
> for the noun "snow". What I'm saying is, if one wanted to describe the
> situations that were being described, we do have pretty reasonable
> vocabulary with which to do so. Maybe I'm thinking of the qep'a'
> wishlisting slightly differently.

I think you are. Someone asked for the noun for /snow,/ and you're
basically saying not to ask for one because you can find other ways to
say it. I'd like a noun for snow so I don't have to play at
circumlocution whenever I want to use it. I also find it highly unlikely
that Klingons don't have a word for this common stuff, and that they
play word games whenever they talk about it.

It's a wish-list, not an I-can't-find-any-other-way-to-say-it list.