[tlhIngan Hol] yay bom bom mu'mey

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 03:25:28 PDT 2017

On 23 March 2017 at 12:41, Jeremy Silver <jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm guessing most consider the guessed lyrics of the "victory song" from
> Birthright part 2 to be either:
> * assumed to be in some ancient dialect (as an in-universe explanation)
> or
> * the worst kind of paramount hol with several random nonsense words lifted
> from the dictionary and mangled so badly by the script-writers this song is
> the very reason the term {Dap bom} was coined.

Many years ago, I saw the printed script for this episode at some
event. The Klingon part was not written in {tlhIngan Hol}, but in that
weird transcription system found in the handy phrases part in the back
of TKD.

I don't remember anything else, but I do know what the refrain (the
line which is repeated) is supposed to be:

> yay'a'! 'ey 'oH

This was written [yi-ja-KKHO], and pronounced by the actors as "ye ja
kay oh" (which is completely understandable once you understand what
they were trying to read, without the benefit of any coaching). That
line is supposed to be {yIja'Qo'}.

Now, to recover the rest of the song, all you have to do is decode the
"back-of-TKD-Hol" from what the actors actually say, and convert it
back into {tlhIngan Hol}.

--
De'vID