[tlhIngan Hol] elephant

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Mar 27 05:10:06 PDT 2017

Few days ago, I sent this bit of Okrand's message to the list, because
somebody asked for it.

>> And Maltz wasn't aware of any native Klingon elephant-like animal.  So
>> go with a Klingon version of Federation Standard.  How about {'e'levan}?

I have not forwarded this immediately when I received it, because in my
opinion, this was no real word; It's just a suggestion for how to
pronounce that Terran animal. Okrand even adds a question mark, so he
seems not sure himself what do with it.

But through the years I was told so often to immediately forward what we
get, so I did it, after somebody asked me to publish it.

Now on Facebook, our good friend and experience Klingonist SuStel
started to argue it is not a canon word, just an English word prounced
with a Klingon accent.

Well, according to our self-inducted guidelines, canon means everything
coming from Okrand. From this, the word is canon now.

The new words list even has {'o} listed for "oh".

If you prefer to say "it's only a transcription", then you have to
reject every fruit and every country name we have learned lately, e.g.
'epIl, QISmaS, 'aSralya', raSya', qo'la', ray' tIr, tomat, meyS,
Sutra'ber, 'anyan, raSber, gharlIq, pItSa', pIlam ... etc.

I will use {'e'levan} now when talking about elephants, because that's
how Okrand suggested it. That's the game we play.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh