[tlhIngan Hol] elephant

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Mar 26 11:59:23 PDT 2017

Am 26.03.2017 um 18:33 schrieb SuStel:
> Don't blame yourself; the pronunciation is a valiant attempt, but very
> difficult to make out.

Thanks for your opinion on my pronunciation. ;-)

I've noticed that Klingon is hard to understand in general, and even
more difficult with background sound or music. When I held a five minute
speech entirley in Klingon at the qepHom'a', Marc Okrand said that he
understood each word, so I don't see a problem with my pronunciation.

> Here is what I heard (and I have no idea what the
> original German is, nor would I understand it if I did). Each line is
> ended with a pause.

This may be confusing if one doesn't know what this is about. This intro
explains what happens during the episode. Using punctuation makes it
more visible:

DaHjaj:
- wa'
- cha'
- wej

You almost got everything correct:

>     QaghmeH wojmeH je lutmey

{HaghmeH ghojmeH ja lutmey}
"Stories for learning and for laughing"

>     Alexander tera' velqa' chImpu'

{tInqu'}: Alexander's very large earth replica.

> The speaker somewhat skips over *qaghwI'* and seems to have trouble with
> *Qay* and *tlhay.*

I have no trouble with Qay and tlhay, and blame the music for the bad
understanding :-P

 > His cadence is also difficult to follow,

This may be related to the fact that each line is not a sentence but
matches the images.

 > though he clearly understands what he's saying.

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH net Sov.

 > The translator chose not to use
> *Qa'Hom* for /mouse./

Yes, that is true. Since Okrand could not provide a word for elephant, I
decided to leave both words untranslated being names, which happens very
often when they use other languages (which do have words for those animals).

You can read the entire text including some comments on the Klingon
language Wiki: http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/DieSendungMitDerMaus

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh