[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 15:39:34 PDT 2017

On Friday 24 Mar 2017 22:13:05 Felix Malmenbeck wrote:
> == DISCUSSION ONLY: No new requests in this message. ==
>
> > Would we have or want a word (or a way to describe):
> > pump (v) - as in move fluids through pipes.
>
> I believe it's quite well covered by {ngaH}, {vo'}, {chung}, {vIHmoH}, {Qay}

Something based on {vIHmoHtaH} might indeed do the trick, but be a bit long.

> and some others. Possibly also {rey}, assuming this isn't just a musical
> term.
>
> That being said, I'd certainly welcome more terminology for pumping, both
> general and specific, technical and layman; it's a very fundamental and
> important process in many fields of science (including anatomy, chemistry
> and physics), so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Klingons have lots
> of great words for it.

They might not be so hot on washing, but starship operations would find a
requirement in pumping breathable air about the place, not to mention pumping
fluids from (if not to) the Heads.

> Another thing that might be useful for discussing pumping is expressions for
> describing repeated actions. Examples of useful distinctions might include:
>
> repeatedly
> do and then undo
> (ir)regularly
> periodically
> cyclically
> ad infinitum
> with (increasing/decreasing/oscillating/unchanged) amplitude
> with (increasing/decreasing/oscillating/unchanged) frequency

One thing that may be related that I've wanted to do was try to describe a
rhythm somehow.

Words related to periodicity/(ir)regularity/rhythmicity would definitely fill
a void.