[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 24 09:44:22 PDT 2017

Jeremy Silver asks:
> On an unrelated note, Voragh's recent wotd reply post reminded me we have
> {joq} used in the context of heartbeat, so how would we comment on the
> other function of the heart?
>
> Would we have or want a word (or a way to describe):
> pump (v) - as in move fluids through pipes.

Not that I can think of.  Perhaps *{vIHmoHwI'}?  You could do something similar with {chIm} "be empty", {buy'} "be full", teb} "fill", {qeD} "vacate", etc.

There's a lot of heart imagery in the paq'batlh with several examples of {joq}:

Hay'chu' luneHqu' vaj pe'vIl joqqu' cha' tlhIngan tIqDu'
Both Klingon hearts beat, at their strongest, in lust for blood.

SIqral bIQtIqDaq joqtaHbogh molor tIqDu' qem qeylIS
[Kahless brings] Molor's still-beating hearts [to the River Skral]
 [full translation wanting]

Suto'vo'qor botlhDaq pe'vIl joqchu'taH quvbogh 'ej valbogh tIqDu' tIQ
At the center of Sto-vo-kor, the ancient hearts of honor and wisdom
  beat steady and strong.

tIqDu'Daj DuQqu'meH qeylIS ma'veq cha' 'etlhmey jop
 [translation wanting]

qanjIt qan vemmoH moratlh vavDaj ghaH qanjIt'e' puj tIqDu'Daj 'ach Hem
Morath wakes his father, the old Kanjit, his hearts weak, but proud.

tagha' tIq Hoch botlh | Hochlogh Dat joqtaHjaj
[...] May it forever beat, anywhere.
 [full translation wanting]

--
Voragh