[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Mar 22 05:19:04 PDT 2017

I wonder if maybe we should start flagging our e-mails to make it easier for qurgh to filter out the ones that don't contain any new requests to add to his list. Something like:

== DISCUSSION ONLY: No new requests in this message. ==

> peDwI' may mean:-
> - V:snow VS9:[agent|instrument]

There is some conflicting evidence regarding what the subject and object of {SIS}, which likely has a syntax similar to {peD}:

According to an e-mail by Roger Cheesbro:

> All correct. SISlu', altho grammaticlly correct, he didn't particularly
> like. Someone COULD use it but to me it sounds like they skipped science
> class and don't know what the subject is. You can also give it an object
> and say things like the clouds rained down cats and dogs. ...or something
> like that; you get the idea. But when Marc and I went outside and drops
> of water were falling on us, he looked up and simply said "SIS".

This would indicate that a {SISwI'} would actually be a rain cloud, rather than the rain itself, which would be {bIQ SISlu'bogh}.

However, in paq'batlh (paq'raD, Canto 13, Stanza 6), we have the sentence {chaHDaq SIStaHvIS 'Iw}, indicating that rainwater may indeed be described as {SISwI'}.

It's very possible that {SIS} (and {peD}) have some sort of dual syntax, where context and common sense dictate which reading is correct.

It's also worth noting that when it comes to rain and snow, the clouds and the matter that falls from them is really one and the same; just at different stages. (Well, at least for the most part; a meteorologist may know of some exceptions to this.)

In any event, I fully support the request for a word for snow, whether it's a canonized modification of a known word or a whole new one.