[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 21 11:50:10 PDT 2017

On 3/21/2017 2:43 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> For “sail” I’ve always used *{joqwI''a'} – a MUCH bigger version of a
> {joqwI’} “flab, banner”.
>
> (Lieven < MO, 1/09/2012):  {tlhIm} is commonly used for a fabric wall
> hanging (that might, for example, have a picture of the Klingon emblem
> on it). If a piece of cloth is displayed at the end of a pole, it is
> considered a {joqwI'} ("flag"); a {tlhIm} covers some sort of surface.
>
> I don’t know if this covers things hanging down from a horizontal pole
> or out from a diagonal pole.  His point here seems to be that {joqwI’}
> are not hung on a wall.  Okrand has related {joq} with sails:
>
> (HQ 10.4):  when a banner or sail flaps, the correct word to use is
> {joq} “flap, flutter, wave."

Well sure, but a sail is not doing its job if it's *joq*ing.

Purely as original imagery—that is, I'm not suggesting this is THE
word—I think of *SuS jonwI'* /wind catcher./ If you want to be more
specific, *vo'meH SuS jonwI'*/wind catcher for propulsion./

Ooh! Ooh! How about *vo'meH vol* /sheet for propulsion/?