[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 10:56:50 PDT 2017

I too have been having trouble finding a good way to express sand and ash and bribe for
example. I think describing ground-up rock confuses people if trying to talk about sand.

While on the subject of sand my wish-list extends to:
beach (n)
coast/shore (n)
bay/inlet (n)
harbour (n)
port [as in spaceport, seaport] (n) - some variation of {vergh} combined with {veng} maybe?
float [on water/in space, assuming it'll differ from {'al}] (v)
be-adrift [on water/in space] (v)
sail (n)
oar (n)
Don't know if Marc's painted himself into a corner with turning "row your boat" into "propel your
ship", but a {vo'wI'} can mean a few things.
That said, sometimes aiming for a phrase like {vo'meH patmey} if you want what you are
describing to remain neutral to time and technology; like you don't want it to matter if the ship has
sails, or if it's a fully kitted out Brel.

Recently I too needed something for Skull, {nach Hom} seemed to work OK but had too many
syllables at the time.

We have a word for crossing/traversing something, but I've wanted to express things crossing
like in an x or + shape before now. Do we have such a construction?

I'd also vote for a noun for snow as in the past using something like {chuch qutmey} seemed a bit
complicated.

Consider there to be another vote for *tide (n)* here too, had to make do with something like big
wave recently. Though now I think about it some way of combining {maS} and {yu'egh} might
work. Can you do something like {maSmo' yu'egh}?

Do we have a usual way of expressing the concept of "beyond" like:
On the other side of the mountain, there is a prison kind of thing?
or Past the crossroads someone did something?

Thanks,
mupwI'