[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 08:43:05 PDT 2017

> I think you are. Someone asked for the noun for snow, and you're basically
> saying not to ask for one because you can find other ways to say it. I'd
> like a noun for snow so I don't have to play at circumlocution whenever I
> want to use it. I also find it highly unlikely that Klingons don't have a
> word for this common stuff, and that they play word games whenever they talk
> about it.
>
> It's a wish-list, not an I-can't-find-any-other-way-to-say-it list.

Even if it turns out that there's no specific word for "snow", and
it's just one of the meanings of, say, {chuch}, at least then we'd be
able to specify it as something like {chuch peDpu'bogh} or {chuch
tun}. (If we get a word for "dust, powder", which was requested
earlier, that'd be very useful for this.) Additionally, part of the
benefit of a "canonical" expression for some word, rather than using
some workaround phrasing, is that I don't have to worry about whether
my circumlocution will be interpreted the same way I meant it.

There are other ways to express many of the new words that have come
by. They were presumably requested for convenience and conciseness,
not because of an underlying conceptual gap in Klingon. There was
enough vocabulary two decades ago for the KLI to take a shot at
Hamlet, after all.