[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' (pab chu' je) chabal tetlh: filling the gaps (concept)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 07:06:01 PDT 2017

Am 21.03.2017 um 14:34 schrieb Michael Kúnin:
> My *raw* idea is to take 5000 most frequently used English words; now I elaborate: if a word is not *really* missing, think/invent/suggest how to express it, and create an online resource (or a page in the KLI website) with such suggestions.

A good place for that is the Klingon Language Wiki. There exists a page
entitled "How do I say..." to give suggestions for expression for which
we have no canon word or examples (e.g. "I love you")
see www.klingonwiki.net/En/HowDoISay

> As for {'IHchoHmoH} and other words that do not directly occur in the "dictionary" canon but occur in canon sentence translations, I suggest adding them to some extra word list.

Yes, good idea. Add it to the Wiki.

> in your replay to another user as to expressing speeds, you came up with
 > a {qaStaHviS} construction, but you recognised that it was "a bit
> awkward"---if someone with your Klingon knowledge considers a
 > translation using what we know "awkward", then it probably
> indicates that there should be a better way yet to be revealed by Maltz.

Hm, yes, not necessarily. I was just saying that maybe there is a lot
easier way to express this, and suggested that others may have a better
idea.

Actually, we are just missing a word similar to "per" to express things
like "5 miles per hour".

> I would strongly suggest that you report {'e'levan} as a new word:

Yes, I just did. I wasn't sure if this really is notable as a new word,
but as it is infoirmation coming from Okrand, we take anything we can
get of course :-)

 > I really have an impression that more academic approach
 > to canon is needed.

What so you mean with that? jIyajbe'.

> Again, some resource with tips as to translating advanced English
 > sentences to Klingon would be really appreciated
 > (I perfectly realise that those tips would be no more
 > than general guidelines).

The wiki is the place for that, collecting lots of "guidelines" and
suggestions for beginners and also advanced.

> For you, it is two cents. For me, the value of your response is much higher, believe me.

I'm glad you appreciate it. Thanks.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh