[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh!

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 00:54:41 PDT 2017

Actually more for my personal practice, I'm going to try to tanslate
some phrases, but also to show that missing words are not always a
hinder to translate.

Am 21.03.2017 um 04:29 schrieb nIqolay Q:
> More words relating to weather, weather forecasting, and weather hazards:
> - Forecast (n/v), thunder (n/v), hail (n/v), cyclone/hurricane (n),
> tornado (n), blizzard (n or v), shelter (n/v), flood (n/v), tide (n),
> drown (v)

Watch your sources:
{SoD} "flood" n/v. (TKD)

For te other words, I guess they will be words combined with {'ul} and
{SuS} ... I'm just guessing.

> - How to express a probability like "there is an X percent chance of
> rain tomorrow"

{wa'leS chaq SIS; X vatlhvI' DuH.}

> - How to express speeds (like wind speeds) in the form of length units
> per time unit

That's interesting. I always say thinhs like {qaStaHvIS wa' rep vagh
qeli'qam leng SuS} - but that'S a bit awkward maybe.

> - How to discuss snow, rain, and other weather phenomena as nouns, as
> in "three inches of rain", "my car is covered in snow", or "a storm
> was heading for the city of Quin'lat".

That's only a problem because we have no noun for snow :-)

{DujwIj So' *peD}
{DujwIj vel *peD}
DechtaH *peD; rav vel *peD, loS 'uj 'ab.

> - A unit of length on the scale of inches or centimeters (n).

We have {'uj}, which is about 34.8 cm (about 13" 3/4), but what an
'ujHom is remains a guess.

> Space (n), in the sense of unoccupied volume or area, as in "This room
> has lots of space!"

tInqu' pa'vam!

or "How much space is there between us?"

{maSum. chuq yIjuv}
{jojmaj chuq yIjuv}

> Time (n), taken as a whole as an abstract concept, that one may or may
> not have enough of, as in "Time flies" or "I don't have time for
> that."

Hm. Most of us have gotten used to abuse the word {poH} for that.

> Moment/instant/point in time (n)

What about {wanI'}?

> There isn't a word for tear (n) since Klingons have no tear ducts, but
> how do they describe tears (and the ducts thereof) when talking about
> weepy Terrans?

{mInDu'DajDaq nargh bIQHommey}

> Kiss (v). I've seen this translated with {chop}, but how would one
> specifically describe the non-biting sort of kiss common to Terrans?

A klingon may say "where's the difference?"  :-D

Terrans also use their own words to describe things they see other
cultures do, when they have no own word for it.

> Lastly, it's always been sort of weird to me that Klingon has no
> single word for skull (n).

This may be related to that fact that Klingons do not talk a lot about
physiology. At the first stepp, I would guess that all the bones are
just named using the body part plus the word for bone: {nach Hom} "head
bone" = skull.
I just come to my mind that in german it's also that case: When not
speaking in a medicine way, most bones are "blabla-knochen".

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh