[tlhIngan Hol] -lI': intentional or not?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 01:25:29 PST 2017

On 1 March 2017 at 08:43, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 01.03.2017 um 00:40 schrieb DloraH:
>>
>> When I first read [ HIvchu'mo' Heghta' ], the first (and I guess only)
>> thought that went through my mind was "He (intentionally) died because
>> he did a suicide attack."  It made sense to me, so I didn't think any
>> further on it.

KGT explicitly gives {HIvneS} as referring to a suicide attack and
{Suvchu'} as meaning to fight to the death. I was trying to recall the
construction from memory and came up with {HIvchu'}. (KGT does say
that {-chu'} implies to the death with "some verbs of fighting", but
only gives {Suv} and {Hay'} as examples.)

> Thanks for confirming what I said. I didn't mean to argue that {Heghta'} is
> ungrammatical, it just made no sense to me that somebody died intentionally
> (except for commiting suicide).
>
> In the above example, it is defined that {Suvchu'} means "fight til death"
> but I think it's not implied that one /intentionally/ dies in such a battle.
> It's not clear from KGT.

What is a "suicide mission", if not a plan of attack/defense where
one's intention is to die? (See KGT p.49 where it talks about {-neS}
and {-chu'} with verbs of fighting.)

--
De'vID