[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIgh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 22 08:29:42 PDT 2017

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, June 22, 2017
>
> Klingon word: tIgh
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: custom

tlhIngan tIgh
"The Klingon Way" (TKW title)

tlhIngan tIgh DaHaDrup'a'?
[Marc Okrand's inscription on books/photos]

quv tIghmey Sov Hoch tlhInganpu'
Every Klingon knows the way of honor (PB)

tlhIngan tIgh yIpab
Live the Klingon way (PB)

naDev Sughompu'
  'ej Qo'noS SuvwI'pu' Hem tlhIH
   qeylIS tIghmey'e'
DaH tIQoy
   teH tIghmey
   'ej bIH bolIjlaHbe'
Here now,
   All of you're here
   Proud warriors of Kronos
The ways of Kahless
  For they are true
  And unforgettable  (PB)

vaj molor HoHta' qeylIS
  'ej quv tIghmey
  'aghpu' mu'meyDaj ta'meyDaj je
And so Kahless slew the tyrant Molor,
  And taught the people the ways of honor
  By his words and his honorable deeds.  (PB)

qa'lI' quv yIpab
  'ej tIghmeylIj bolIjchugh
  SaqSub SuvwI' Qup yIqaw
Follow the honor in your spirit,
  And if you should lose your way,
  Remember the young warrior from the Saq'sub.  (PB)

CULTURAL NOTES:
"Klingon words for traditional tools and long-standing customs are difficult to translate into English." (TKD 9)

"Language and culture go together, one reinforcing the other. When one speaks Klingon, one says things in a Klingon way." (Marc Okrand, http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/general/2010/04/02/marc-
okrand-inventor-of-klingon-at-gmu-tonight/ )

"You outsiders see only our fierceness, our love of battle. You do not see the {tIgh}, the honor, that shapes our every act." [Gowron, KCD novel, p.10]

"Klingon culture is not in your taste?" (Troi to Pulaski, TNG "The Icarus Factor")

SEE ALSO:
ghob 		virtue (n)
nugh 		society (group of people with a shared culture) (n)
tlham 	order, structure (societal) (slang) (n)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'